Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My PROM Story (Not the High School Dance)

So I am almost 26 weeks pregnant and like most mornings I wake early in the morning on April 21, 2006 with this incredible urge to go use the restroom. I sit up and gush I believe I just peed the bed. But yet I can't stop peeing?! I run into the bathroom and sit on the toilet and still can't stop. I think to my self (real thought) It feels like i punctured my bladder and can not quit peeing. It was early remember. Then I clued in to what was happening and yelled to my husband, "I think I am in labor my water just broke!!!" He sits up and yells a few obscenities of scaredness. Then yells should I call 911? I think that is ridiculous and say, "No!! Call my mom!" I know. I know. You are thinking what is she she supposed to do? But non the less we call my mom and she said I think going to the hospital might be a good idea. So I put a towel between my legs, get into the car and we head off to the hospital. I am freaking out and balling the whole way there. Thinking to my self the baby has got to be alright. Please say the baby is alright.

We get to the hospital. They hook me up to the monitors. And a miracle in my eyes happened, We heard the heartbeat of the baby. They confirmed that yes the my water had broke and my Doctor was on his way. He came and decided that I needed to be transfer ed to a hospital that would be more equipped to deliver this premature of a baby. So the ambulance comes and takes me away. Mind you i have now got a diaper on because I am still gushing.

We get to the hospital and they rush me in and start doing more tests. They hook me up to monitors to see if I was having any contractors. Nope, not a one. Good they said. The baby still needs to grow and the best place for him to do that is inside of you. I was 25 weeks and 5 days along. The odds are not that good that a baby will survive if delivered that soon. These are the odds I was given:

Odds of a Premature Baby's Survival by Length of Pregnancy:

Length of Pregnancy Likelihood of Survival
23 weeks 17%
24 weeks 39%
25 weeks 50%
26 weeks 80%
27 weeks 90%
28-31 weeks 90-95%
32-33 weeks 95%
34+ weeks Almost as likely as a full-term baby
Sources: March of Dimes, Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation

A few days and weeks make all the difference. So... I told my self well one day at a time. But I was going to do my best to keep that baby inside of me. They also told me that within 24 hours 50% of PROM cases go into labor and within 7 days 75% to 90% of PROM cases deliver. My chances were getting smaller and smaller by the second. but I was not going to give up. I began to feel guilty. What happened? What did I do? Everyone told me this is not your fault. Nothing you did caused this. We do not know why this happened. But I still felt guilty. I failed. My job was to keep this baby inside of me for 9 months so that he could grow and I failed. So the best thing I could do was keep him in me for as long as i could. So I begun bed rest in the hospital. I knew it was going to be hard. Some days were better then others. You could tell it was a good day because I would do my hair. I made it to 28 weeks exactly. 16 Days in a hospital bed. I gave him 16 more days to grow. I wish I could have done more. I felt guilty that I did not. But I gave him 16 more days to grow.

Medical Info:

Define PROM:

Before a baby is born, the amniotic sac breaks open, causing amniotic fluid to gush out or, less commonly, to slowly leak. When this happens before contractions start, it is called premature rupture of membranes (PROM). PROM can occur at any time during pregnancy.

When PROM occurs before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy, it usually leads to preterm labor. You may hear this early PROM referred to as preterm premature rupture of membranes, or pPROM.

PROM is often unexpected, and the cause is often difficult to identify.

Course of pPROM:

Preterm labor usually begins shortly after pPROM occurs. Sometimes, when a slow leak is present and infection has not developed, contractions may not start for a few days or longer. Generally, the later in a pregnancy PROM occurs, the sooner the onset of labor. Labor begins:1

  • Within 24 hours in 50% of pPROM cases.
  • Within 7 days in 75% to 90% of pPROM cases.

On occasion, a leak high up in the amniotic sac may reseal itself so that preterm labor does not start or subsides.

In rare cases, a pregnancy can be carried to term if pPROM occurs in the second trimester.

WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

No comments: