Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Is it his shunt?

This is a question Jake and I ask our selves every time Dakota gets sick. I will admit I am the overly paranoid one so I ask the question the most. But hey it freaks me out! So This past weekend Dakota started getting a pretty bad cough which lead to him having a harder time breathing. So we started by giving him his Albutral which end up coming right back up which as soon as that happens I freak out immediately and go straight to IT'S THE SHUNT! He then started acting really tired and just wanted to lay on the couch or have us hold him. Which is completely not normal for him. Even when he is getting sick with a cold he is usually still jumping around and at the very least playing with his motorcycle. He wanted to do none of this so then my mind goes oh no this must be a shunt issue! I have been given all the sign and symptoms of what to look for if he has a shunt malfunction. The most common sighs can be found here. So we take him to the hospital. They do what is called a shunt shunt series. This is some X-rays of the head, chest, and abdomen and a CT Scan of the brain. The results came back that everything looked great with his shunts. They were all intact his ventricles looked good. We even got a phone call from Dr. Kestle his Neurosurgeon and he said everything look good and he sees no problems. He ended up having a bronchial infection and asthma reaction. But that is another post.

So now do I question my mommy sense? Am I crazy to jump right in and assume it is his shunt? If you clicked on the like you would see the signs. They are the same as every other childhood illness he could get. What a pain! I mean this is his brain we are talking about.

This is a really good link to some hydrocephlus facts click here.

No comments: